International student insurance
for your study abroad & internship worldwide
Good reasons for going overseas
Students’ international mobility becomes a must-have. Studying abroad or working as an intern improves your educational abilities, broadens your horizon and evolves intercultural skills. Even if you do not have a term or a complete academic year as an international student, educational travel offers so many opportunities, also going abroad for a few weeks. Language classes, summer schools, volunteering jobs during your semester break or research work for your doctoral thesis are just a few examples. Of course, this also applies to guest scientists and their accompanying family members. Depending on your program, you may benefit from international scholarships for students. Many universities and institutions provide financial aid. Examine if you are eligible to benefit from this opportunity of personality development and competence.
Once you have decided on studying abroad, check precisely which health insurance you need for your enrollment. Bear in mind to take out applicable student protection prior to departure from home country. Depending on travel destination, an international student may already get insured from € 0,95/US$ 1,19 per day for a semester in New Zealand or visitor exchange in Germany, for example. All CareMed insurance plans fulfill or exceed the requirements for a Schengen visa, student and visitor visas. For study in the USA, a foreign student receives cover for emergencies abroad in compliance with a J1, J2, F1, F2 and M1 visa from € 79,23/ US$ 97,15 per month.
Are you participating in another international program like au pair, volunteering or backpacking? Or are you planning a different kind of journey overseas? Here you will find travel insurance plans including medical evacuation according to your project needs and regulations of the authorities.
- Note that holiday trip insurance does not provide sufficient protection for your abroad studies or internship as they are only valid for shorter travels and therefore do not meet the needs of an academic program.
- Guidelines on student health care: Ask your exchange university or in case of an internship your employer for specific insurance requirements. It may be necessary for scholars and interns to prove sufficient student health cover to be insured for accidents and sickness as well as accident invalidity and third party liability.
- Visa requirements: Depending on your travel destination and type of visa you may be asked to provide confirmation of applicable health insurance when entering the country. You will find details for specific countries, e.g. trips to the Schengen area and entry into the USA for an international study program below.
- Customized insurance cover: Student travel health insurance covers acute illnesses, injuries and accidents and offers abroad protection to international students. You may select health insurance with or without deductible/excess. If you choose to include it you pay up to €50 or €/US$100 per claim/ yourself, depending on your overseas health plan. This enables you to reduce your insurance premium. Check if you need additional coverage such as accident indemnity and third party liability insurance, or wish to include luggage insurance to cover your personal property or additional travel assistance and make your choice. Depending on your personal situation, trip cancelation insurance which is taken out separately can be useful. It insures you in case you are not able to attend your abroad program due to sickness, for example. You may individually choose your components during your enrollment for CareMed student cover.
- Unlimited medical benefit: Comprehensive cover and medical evacuation to home country are essential to be covered for emergencies while traveling . When studying outside of your home country medical treatment costs can be high and unexpected expenses may lead to a huge financial setback. If you do not have insurance through your university, you should definitely take out international medical protection to have these costs covered. Even if you are enrolled in a student health plan by your host university while studying abroad or if you are insured to some extend within the EU through the social security treaty EHIC), it is recommended taking out travel insurance additionally as not all costs are covered. Thus, with international student cover you are able to avoid own expenses, for example a deductible, co-payment, costs for medical treatment and repatriation. For travel destinations within Europe, please see further information for the Schengen area below.
Fellow students, interns and travelers are an excellent source to get an idea of CareMed insurance plans, how the CareMed team works and how our values are reflected in our actions. Read our customer reviews about their personal experiences with CareMed.
- Flexibility and fairness: You apply for the maximum time period you intend to stay abroad. In case you return home earlier, we will reimburse remaining complete months minus an admin fee (€12,80/ US$15.00) if no payable claim has been submitted. A cancelation prior to insurance start may even be requested free of charge.
- Transparency: Complete information and terms & conditions are available prior to online application. Certainly, we also point to limitations and exclusions to ensure clarity. This way you are well prepared to do your personal insurance comparison.
- Data protection: The security of your personal data is fundamental. Only necessary data will be requested by CareMed and of course, it will only be saved after your consent. We guarantee to treat your data strictly confidential. Check out the details in our data protection section.
- Sustainability: There will be no paperwork, CareMed will provide documents eco-friendly and secured online. This also has the advantage that you may enroll on short notice prior to departure. The upper part of your confirmation serves as an insurance card to keep with you for an emergency.
You need to see a doctor during your stay and wonder how claim submission works with CareMed? Your multi-lingual insurance documents including medical claim form and all necessary information will be available for download after successful application and are additionally accessible any time via your online login.
- Your insurance specialist for Educational Travel: CareMed has been working in international youth exchange for almost 30 years. All your contact persons know about cultural exchange from their own experience, e.g. as an au pair in the USA and Germany, language student in Spain or intern in New Zealand. Beyond, we regularly take part in international fairs, conferences and workshops to be in the know about current trends and developments in Education Travel and to anticipate students’ needs as well as new requirements from embassies and universities. Contact CareMed for any questions. Be well informed for a carefree adventure abroad.
- Online enrollment & security: You easily submit your application online and process payment via a secure and certified platform (by credit card, PayPal, wire transfer within Europe, direct debit from a German bank account). Subsequently, multi-lingual insurance documents will be available online. You may need to present your insurance confirmation to the international office and to immigration authorities in case of a visa application. Check our FAQ section for detailed information.
- Versatile all-round protection: Our international student plans are valid for your study period. Of course, you are also protected during the time you visit preparatory language courses or if you stay in the country longer than your university classes. You benefit from CareMed coverage regardless of your student status, even if you are going on trips or holidays to other countries which belong to the same geographical territory, worldwide including or excluding the USA and Canada. Also working as a student assistant, tutor or intern will be included.
- Coverage & quality: All CareMed health insurance plans provide unlimited medical coverage and include medical repatriation to your home country. Costs will also be covered if you need to see a private doctor. In the USA, our First Health Provider Network (PPO Network) will assist you locating your medical facility and guarantee direct payment to avoid payment in advance. There is no coinsurance included. We team up with selected insurers as long-term partners to guarantee stability and reliability. This way, you will be well insured for your academic experience abroad.
- Worldwide assistance service: In case of emergency, CareMed Assist is pleased to help and support you as soon as the assistance coordinators receive your call. Direct payment to medical facilities can be arranged by calling our multi-lingual 24-hour-service instead of having to pay up-front. Additional benefits may be organized, for example medical repatriation or family reunion.
International student insurance by CareMed is available to all nationalities. Insurance terms may be hard to understand in a second language. That is why CareMed provides insurance terms and conditions in various languages. It may help to understand benefits as well as limitations before applying for the chosen insurance. In each country there are specifics for health protection depending on the local health care system, visa regulations, habits and more. Keep in mind that in any case travel insurance has to be taken out prior to departure from your home country.
Especially, South Africa is very popular for mandatory internships as well as studies and volunteering. Depending on your stay or program it may be required taking out health insurance by a local provider. Be sure to check the benefits as medical coverage might be limited and additional travel protection therefore be advisable. Please feel free to send us details for a comparison. We are happy to assist.
Singapore as an Asian business center is an attractive destination for students as well as interns. Major international companies have offices to guarantee internship placements in various industries. Besides health/accident cover, the company will require accident invalidity and third party liability insurance to be included in your benefits in case of practical trainings.
Language courses as well as study abroad programs in Indonesia, e.g. Bali as well as Bangkok in Thailand are very popular as well. Or have you ever thought about living in metropolises like Tokyo, Shanghai or Seoul? Take the opportunity to learn a new language and to immerse into a very different culture. Explore colorful China or Mangas in Japan, experience the Korean wave first hand or India’s philosophy including meditation, buddhism and much more.
Down Under: Australia & New Zealand
For internships as well as work & travel under the working holiday visa, travel health insurance is mandatory. Proof of applicable insurance may be asked when entering the country.
During a study in Australia you are required taking out Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). Even if you have already enrolled for OSHC, please make sure to check the benefits and exclusions. With CareMed travel insurance as an add-on, international students are on the safe side as it:
- provides unlimited medical benefits
- avoids own expenses and co-payments
- covers during holidays and trips to other countries
- offers assistance and cover around the clock
- is valid during your studies, internships, free-time and travels.
Interested in a backpacker’s guide for your adventure in Australia? Have a look at Antonia’s testimonial to learn more about your preparation for work & travel in down under or register to attend her tutorial/webinar.
Europe: France, Italy, Germany and more
Travel within Europe is easy and connections between universities are numerous. Therefore, many students choose their stay abroad within Europe. The European Commission website provides helpful information concerning European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and confirms that the EHIC “is not an alternative to travel insurance” meaning it does not replace travel insurance for students going abroad.
Exchange visitors and students from outside of Europe always need proof of appropriate insurance cover for their application at the embassy. As all CareMed comply with the requirements for a Schengen Visa made by the decision of the European Union Council (2004/17/EU), it shall be accepted for the application.
Planning an academic year in Europe? To get a closer look, check out Lena’s story about her life studying in Paris and finding a second home.
North America: USA & Canada
To study in the USA is a dream for many students around the globe. Of course, for studies and internships in America it is essential that your insurance cover will be accepted for your application at the consulate or foreign office. CareMed plans fulfill or exceed the requirements for the following visas among others: F1, F2, H2B, J1, J2, M1 as well as tourist visas.
Most American universities offer own insurance for international students and sometimes this health care is mandatory. Please make sure to check the benefits before you leave as not all providers offer comprehensive protection. Does this plan include co-payment which means that the insured is responsible for a certain percentage of the medical bill, for example? Are you also covered for your trip to the USA and traveling to other countries?
Many universities offer the possibility to choose another provider if a health insurance waiver is completed and signed. We are happy to check and compare benefits to offer you an affordable and comprehensive alternative. Just e-mail us the waiver document, we will get back to you within 2 working days.
Would you like to get an impression of how life in Big Apple may look like? Katrin is happy to share her American way of life.
Also countries in South America are the target of international academics, for studies as well as volunteering, internships or taking a gap year to learn a new language. Language skills in Spanish or Portuguese will give you a major benefit for your resume as well as your personal development. International travel insurance will of course be necessary for your trip and insurance documents in the local language will make life much easier in case of emergency.
Volunteering in Ecuador might be an option for you? Read about Leonard, heading to Ecuador as a lucky helper.
Our international insurance applies to all nationalities and can be purchased for worldwide destinations. If you are planning a stop-over in the USA or Canada, you select “worldwide including USA & Canada” for global coverage. Get your quote anonymously online and enroll for student medical cover prior to departure abroad.
Get a quote online
Besides student health cover, you would also like to enroll for trip cancelation? This coverage is taken out separately and covers cancelation costs in case that you are unable to leave your country due to an unexpected severe illness/sickness or accident, for example.
Further information on trip cancelation insurance
You are traveling abroad for a different reason? CareMed also provides travel insurance for other travelers, e.g. if you are staying in a foreign country as a volunteer, work & traveler, au pair, exchange visitor or tourist. More information on trip insurance
CareMed is also able to offer a group policy for international students to your university, school or organization in Educational Travel. We are happy to send details to members of the international office, faculty or abroad office as well as organizations. Feel free to e-mail or call us.